About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Monday, August 2, 2010

I Left my Stomach in Atlanta

I only wish I could have left my hips there too...oh well, such is life, ho-hum, long exhale while staring out a window.  Two days ago I returned 10 pounds heavier from Atlanta and while it is no secret that I missed friends and family, I was shocked to learn just how much I missed good, cheap, no frills FOOD.  Eating my way through the ATL was one of the highlights of our first return trip and I can still taste the greasy goodness from our two amazing burger experiences.  You would think a good burger is easy to come by in 21st Century Europe...think again.

So let me stage the Zurich food scene: picture sausage, veal in a mushroom cream sauce (which they call Zurich Art), fried potatoes and melted cheese.  Then pan over to the bathroom that your run to after your 5th slice of Raclette.  While slices of melted cheese are tasty and all, no boiled potato, gherkin or pickled onion will enable your body to process it effectively.  I actually like all of the German influenced cuisine I listed above but I can only do so much of it before I start daydreaming about the Thai or Indian food from Atlanta which causes me to weep happy tears.  Zurich does have a decent amount of ethnic eateries but I have yet to come across one that makes me cry like a teenage girl who just saw Justin Bieber flick his weird ass bowl cut. His bowl cut is as mind blowing as watching a toilet flush in the southern hemisphere for the first time, backwards and freaky.  In all fairness to Zurich, we have found good places to eat for all budgets, although I use the word "budget" loosely.  I am so fair that I even posted some restaurant recommendations over on ACC so I could feel less guilty about bashing Zurich's food scene.

Five Guys Goodness
Oh Atlanta, you little food minx...the first night we were there, you showered us with burger kisses.  Our friends Kevin and Sus were kind enough to take us to Holeman & Finch, famous for its 10pm burger. They only make 24 of the these lovelies and we got there at 8pm in order to reserve ours.  At 10pm sharp, a  procession of servers delivered the sizzling burgers to the 24 lucky souls who got there early enough to stake claim to theirs. Unfortunately, my stomach has become a bit atrophied over the past 11 months and couldn't handle the entire burger, but the Boy came through and finished the half I could not.  Two days later we went round two with a burger from Five Guys Burgers and this time, I finished the whole thing.  It was a taste sensation.  More taste sensations in Atlanta included the Chicken 65 from my favorite Indian Restaurant Zyka, the Banh Mi from Littles in Cabbagetown, over 10 plates of awesomeness from my brother's restaurant INC Street Food and of course the honey bacon from Sun in My Belly (although it did end up causing a storm in my belly an hour later).

In stark contrast, Zurich is a classic underachiever.  It has all the potential in the world with unbelievable access to amazing produce and meats but fails to deliver with over-priced, average fair.  I still haven't figured out why this is the case but I hope with the increasing flow of us Ausslanders into this great country, we will at least get to a place where we have over-priced, awesome food.

This post was written for AffordableCallingCards.net, a community linking Expats and soon to be Expats. I know a lot of my readers travel, so check out how you can get cheap calling cards overseas,which means one less thing to worry about while you are busy sipping on a Pina Colada. 

9 comments:

lwelsh said...

I have your new career - starting a burger franchise in Zurich! :) Now the real question would be what kind of burger. Would you go for the classic grilled excellence of the Earl burger, or the more glorified fast food essence of Holeman & Finch? I'm actually getting hungry for both of these at 9:30 AM on a Monday morning.

Kristi said...

Dude...I would totally start either a burger or taco stand but from what I have heard, you need a Swiss business partner. They don't make it easy here for us Auslanders. Small price to pay I spose. Great seeing you last week...it was as if time didn't pass.

Unknown said...

Hey but we have one of these funny burger places with poor girls in orange pants (if I remember well "the boy" was already there :-)) Seems that we have to introduce you to the Asians around our office :-) e.g. Indians: Kobal, King's Curry or Lilly's, or Samurai (yess, there's more than the one with the belt where we eat before the cinema nights). And in fact you forgot some real Swiss food palaces (=tourist traps) like Zeughauskeller or the countless "Beizen" with real down to earth food (and decent prices). E.g. try a "Spätzletopf" at the Bierfalken (Löwenstrasse). And there's many more to discover :-) I can show you on the next photo tour :-)

Unknown said...

WHat did you think of the bahn mi from Little's? It's in my sandwich hall of fame.

Kristi said...

Christoph, not only was the Boy at the place where the girls in orange shorts serve you awful food, I was there too. I have been to quite a few ethnic eateries here actually, including many you listed above. Unfortunately Atlanta sometimes wins the "who is better at what" contest. Zurich is no slouch though when it comes to non-food items ie. transportation, cleanliness, safety, order...etc. BUT, I am open to being wrong about this so please take me to some good eateries on your next photo tour.

Chris, the banh mi was a tasty treat fo sho. I had a bite of Lauren's at the Porter the night before and I have to say, the two sandwiches were in a dead heat for tastiness.

Caitie said...

Oh man....how I would love to sink my teeth into an honest to god BURGER, and not some fast-food cheap imitation. I'm going home in October, and I pity the cows that stand in my way....

Kathy said...

Burgers are a real challenge here. You won't get a decent one in a restaurant. Last week I tried to make my own, but it did not come out right. I think the beef here is so lean--and in this case too finely ground--that some adjustment to the basic recipe is needed. Probably need to get it ground less fine by the butcher from fattier cut...

Cherrye Moore said...

Oh, Kristi, you've made me hungry for my hometown burgers in Texas! We can't get a decent burger here in Calabria (Italy), either :-(

I have some places I *always* go to when I'm back home. Do you think some of these places will be your new regulars?

Cherrye at My Bella Vita
http://my-bellavita.com

Kristi said...

I never thought I was a "burger" person until I was away from a good one for a year. I have made my share, but they are never as greasy and awesome when cooked by the real pros.

Kathy - I actually made a decent burger here. I used the bio 14% fat beef/pork mix, which is plenty of fat, and I added some olive oil, montreal seasoning and fresh chives. I topped it with bacon and avocado. It was delish.

Cherrye - Yes, one of the burger places I mentioned above will always be a stop for us when we are in Atlanta. I will always have to go to my favorite Indian joint too, Zyka.