About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Monday, August 9, 2010

Orange - Not Just a Cool Color


Last night the Boy and I dragged our tired, battered, sunburned butts* to Orange Cinema Night.  Located in Zurichhorn Park, a nightly movie is shown on the big screen between July 15th and August 15th.  The setting is stunning - the screen literally sits in lake, which is lit with twinkling lights, casting their reflections off the water's surface. The semi-comfortable seats only give you minor tingling by hour 2 and if you look really close, you can spot bats flying in front of the screen.  Hey, wildlife sightings are hard to come by here so this excited me.

We heard and read so many good things about this experience which I have to say were pretty spot on.  Because I want your experience to be a good one, here are a few tips should you decide to check it out for yourself:

1. Get your tickets early and get there early- Reserved seating is difficult to get as most of the seats are reserved for local sponsors and their lucky recipients.  We purchased our tickets too late and ended up with  "freie sitzwahl" tickets which are "first come, first serve" tickets (aka "poop out of luck" tickets).  Our seats weren't bad but we were limited to the left side, front section or the really left side, front section. Since there aren't many first come, first serve seats available, arrive early so you can get a decent seat.

2. You can BYOB or BYOF - Our bags weren't checked so if you want to save some coin, bring your own booze or food.  If you don't want to bring your own B or F, there are food and drink vendors on location.

3. Don't forget to get your free ice cream - OK, so it isn't exactly "free"...you are spending at least 20 chf per person for these tickets, but your ticket does include a free ice cream.  You can't miss it, just look for the massive blob of people who aren't forming any semblance of a line.

4. Pack rain gear and a blankie - The show goes on rain or shine and cancellations only occur in the event of a storm.  I got a little bit chilly last night so I was glad I packed my fleece jacket.

This is a "must do" if you live in Zurich so check it out...next year though since it is likely sold out for the Summer.

* "sunburned butts" is a figure of speech.  Our butts weren't sunburned, rather our necks, faces and forearms.  Our burned forearm area is particularly cool as we now look like we have Wonder Woman arm bands tattooed on our skin.  If only I had kept my Wonder Woman Underoos...I would then have the perfect costume for the Zurich Street Parade this weekend.  Oh yeah, I had these growing up.  

0 comments: