About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Thursday, August 19, 2010

365 Days Later - The Interview (Cue Dramatic Music)




This picture says it all...albeit incorrectly, but it is true nonetheless.

People, today marks my one year anniversary of living in Zurich, Switzerland.  In honor of this momentous occasion, I have decided to bring you some hard hitting journalism.  I am going to interview myself.  The negotiations were a bit tense at times but after several sessions of talking to myself (sometimes in public), I finally worked something out with me. The questions below are ones I would have liked to have seen answers to before moving to Zurich so consider yourself "about to be informed":


(fumbling with microphone...tap, tap, CRASH, F*$%#CK!)
Me: Kristi, such an honor to meet you. I guess what they say about blogs adding 10 pounds is true. You look so much more amazing in real life. 
Kristi: You are too, too kind.  
Me: No really, you are quite spectacular.
Kristi: You are making me blush...can we get on with this?  I have lunch with Federer.
Me: In your dreams.
Kristi: Yeah...I did see Hingis once though...(trailing off)
Me: (clearing throat) So, what were your first impressions of Zurich?
Kristi: Well, I had never been to Zurich before so I really wasn't sure what to expect.  I had done the typical "research something to death" thing so I thought I had an idea of what it would be like. No research could have prepared me for how pretty it is here.  Not only is the city on a lake, you can see the Alps in the distance.  It is truly mind blowing...even to this day.
Me: I get it, you are happy with how Zurich looks...but how does it FEEL?
Kristi: Not to be overly simplistic, but it feels "good".  I feel more and more comfortable here everyday. I love how city life mingles so easily with nature, I feel safe, the people are polite and helpful...I could see myself here a while.
Me: What have been some of the challenges adjusting to life in Zurich?
Kristi: Well, there have been several.  First and foremost is the language barrier.  While I am learning High German, the people here speak Swiss German, which for all intensive purposes is a completely different language.   I miss being able to communicate with ease and labels on products continue to give me fits.  In addition to the language barrier, this Hausfrau gig was hard to get used to at first.  Turns out a lot of my self worth was buried in my career.  It was really tough getting used to being unemployed and I was truly surprised at how difficult it was to embrace it as a gift.  I call it a gift because how many people get this chance to not work and do other things that interest them? Finally, Europe in general is expensive.  I yearn for the day I am not calculating what something costs in American dollars.  I am sick and tired of almost fainting in the meat section.  At least there would be cold pork chop there to quickly ice any injuries if I ever do physically crash down to the ground.
Me: Wow, sounds like it is tough to adjust.
Kristi: Well anything new is going to be tough to adjust to at first.  Don't let that dissuade you from moving to a new country.  That would be lamer than a Friends reunion show.  I now judge my life in terms of how often I go outside of my comfort zone vs how long I stay in it.
Me: How have you dealt with the challenges you mention above?
Kristi: Well after I briefly felt sorry for myself, I attacked them.  I have taken and continue to take High German and while it is not Swiss German, I feel like I am at least making an effort to integrate. I stay busy everyday with writing, doing a little work for my old company, doing my Hausfrau chores and spending time with the Muttleys.  As for the mind blowing cost of living here, I just remind myself of basic economics: people get paid a crap load of money here so the cost of goods naturally goes up.  Then I laugh, shake my head and mutter "nope, that didn't work...its fracking expensive here".
Me: If you had one tip for a future or existing Expat, what would it be?
Kristi: I would say to that lucky individual that attitude is EVERYTHING.  If you move to a new country scared, well then you are going to be scared. If you move to a new country sad, well then you will be sad.  If you move to a new country ready to embrace it, well then you will likely have a positive and rewarding experience.  I used to think home was where the heart was but now I think home is a state of mind.  Make your attitude your own too...be careful who you listen to and what you read, be strong enough to form your OWN opinions.
Me: Is it hard to meet people?
Kristi: It is only as hard as you make it. Zurich is an international city where 30% of people are Expats.  That means 1/3 of people here are likely just as motivated as you to meet people. Then you have access to co-workers, people you meet through clubs and neighbors.  If you aren't meeting people, then you really aren't trying hard enough...sorry, hate to get all "tough love", but it's true.
Me: What has been the best part of your Expat experience?
Kristi: There are so many "best parts" and it so hard to have just one.  Piggybacking off of what we just discussed...it would be all the amazing people I have met while over here.  I have met people from all over the world and it is so great to learn about other cultures and their perspectives on Expat life and life in general.  Being able to hop a train to Italy or France doesn't suck either. 
Me: So Kristi, what is really like to be an Expat?
Kristi: Good question, uh...Kristi.  This is a tough one to answer but I will give it a try.  Moving to a new country, the idea of it, is exciting and romantic.  When you arrive, it is pretty exciting and romantic, but then you have to get on with life. Life in a different country presents unique challenges AND opportunities.  Woven into both is a plethora of intense emotions...for the first time in a long time, I feel pretty alive.  
Me: Whoa, that last part was intense.  Did you mean that?
Kristi: Yes I did. I used to live to be comfortable, now I live to test myself.  I want to be 90 and look back on my life confident that I actually lived it.  Does that mean someone who doesn't do this isn't living?  No...it is up to each individual to decide what living means to them.
Me: Dude...you're deep.  
Kristi: Hell yeah I am.
Me: Is there anything else you want to share with your readers?
Kristi: Sure.  The Boy and I are truly happy.  This experience has been exhilarating and we aren't ready to get off the ride.  We don't know where we will be in 10 years, but for now...we love being in Zurich.
Me: Well Kristi, this interview has also been quite the ride.  Thanks for sharing and good luck with your second year.
Kristi: Thanks...great interview by the way.  You give Charlie Rose a run for his money.

If any questions weren't covered in this interview that you would like to ask and get answered, feel free to send them to: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com.  

This post was written for AffordableCallingCards.net, a community linking Expats and soon to be Expats.  I know a lot of my readers are thinking about becoming Expats.  So when you are doing your pre-move visit, be sure to call Mom and tell her how it is going.

1 comments:

Cherrye Moore said...

Kristi, this was precious! I giggled throughout it (in all of the appropriate places, of course). I've been an expat for four years and was just thinking (this morning, in fact) that I want to go back and read some of my posts from when I was just a year or so in ... it is interesting how much changes!

Good luck on Year Two!

Cherrye at My Bella Vita
http://my-bellavita.com