About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Thursday, August 12, 2010

Is Zurich Boring?

Stereotypes and labels can be pretty damaging but there are typically grains of truth from which they sprout.  Whilst living in Zurich, I have heard quite a few and one in particular really yanks my crank: Zurich is boring.  I suppose it makes me angry because it implies that I am boring because frankly, I love boring Zurich.  I think the majority of my anger though comes from the opinion that it simply isn't true.

Exhibit A:


Boring cities do not allow you to park your bike in 8 foot hedges.  This took major talent.

Exhibit B:


Boring cities don't let you park your bike in the local river.  Not so much talent involved with this parking job, just a bike and a dream.

Exhibit C: 


Boring cities don't have sections of town where it is completely legal to paint graffiti on the sides of buildings.  It is pretty trippy to see people spray-painting their hip hop machinations during the daytime.  

And finally, boring cities are not host to the world's second largest techno music festival where you can find over a million half naked people dancing to music that the untrained ear would claim "all sounds the same".  Street Parade even has an annual motto, my favorite of which being "Today is Tomorrow"...and while I vehemently disagree that today is tomorrow, I love how the event organizers attempt to make dancing to consistent beats in the streets of Zurich somehow cerebral.  The only thing truly cerebral about this day is the music may lead to a Grand Mal seizure.

So have I convinced you that Zurich isn't boring?  No? Well then how about Zurich's incredible access to all things nature, clean water, clean everything, low crime rates, incredible public transportation, sheer beauty...???  Does that help change your mind? Wait a minute, I just described a "livable city".  I suppose places you can see yourself living long term get stuck with the "boring" tag, but I will take boring, old, livable Zurich over someplace frenetic any day of the week.

I know what it is like to be done with a place but I am super careful to never disparage it because I feel it would detract from the experience I had while there and furthermore,  it would only serve to offend the people I love who still live there.  While I was out-growing Atlanta, the idea of Zurich grew on me but I never once felt inclined to diminish what Atlanta had to offer.  It didn't seem fair to admonish a city that introduced me to my husband and really good BBQ.  So if you aren't happy with a place, feel free to have those feelings but just be careful to choose your words wisely when expressing them.

Zurich is not fast paced, the "scene" won't blow your mind and you won't have random celebrity encounters (unless you consider spotting Martina Hingis in a bar with her boyfriend, both donning matching jeans with the same rhinestone detail on the back pockets, a celebrity sighting).  What you will get though is a good life and for me, that is about as exciting as it gets.

This post was written for AffordableCallingCards.net, a community linking Expats and soon to be Expats. I know a lot of my readers travel, so check out how you can get cheap calling cards overseas,which means one less thing to worry about while you are busy sipping on a Pina Colada. 



3 comments:

Kathy said...

Zürich is not boring! I love it.

But it does have a different energy than many major cities (like London or Paris). There's less intensity and fewer hard edges, all things I can generally live without.

When I go back to a big a city like London, I get that rush of big-city energy. But it can be exhausting as well.

So, I agree. Zürich is good place to live.

Caitie said...

A huge techno party. That instantly rules out Zurich EVER being boring. And I *really* hope you do a post on the party, because the shots I've seen on t.v....good god. As I ridiculed the techno street parade, my Swiss husband jumped to it's defence: "THE *LOVE* PARADE IS THE WOODSTOCK OF OUR GENERATION! Get on board with it!"

Calm down. Calm down. But seriously, I can't get on board with techno music. And I especially couldn't get on board with it if I'm required to stand on the float next to the half nekid man dressed like a smurf.

Kristi said...

Kathy - Yes, it is missing the rough edges which is probably what the people who claim it is boring gravitate towards. My advice to those people is to go where your heart takes you...life is too short to live in a place that makes you feel...well, bored.

Caitie - I am not a techno fan either but I have to say, it was a KILLER party. It is like the train that runs through our backyard, eventually you tune it out...although it could have been all the beer that helped with that ;)