About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Year In Review-How I Got My Swagger On

A year ago today I turned 34 and found myself in crisis.  Birthdays have historically yielded disappointment or shame that I was disappointed, but let's face it, how significant is this day really?  Yes it is a day supposedly dedicated to you and your existence, and somehow your existence is now governed by how many Facebook "Happy Birthdays" you receive.  I wonder if the creators of Facebook knew they were releasing a cyber 8th grade popularity contest for which some people it either validates or invalidates their self worth.

Anywho, back to the crisis I had a year ago.  I decided then that I didn't do enough in my lifetime.  I felt I had nothing to show for my 34 years, independent of my wonderful marriage and two doggies.  I was Kristi, I worked, I cleaned, I cooked, I laughed, I loved, but I didn't feel like I ever pushed the envelope.  I was always too afraid.  My crisis made me aware that deep inside, in some small crevasse located in my brain or heart, I wanted to do something that really tested me.  Shortly after my 34th birthday I ran a half marathon, but I had done that before and while it is a scary thought to run 13.1 miles, it is decidedly temporary.  I wanted to do something more profound, a life change if you will.

It was then I decided to go back to school. I am not going to lie, the thought of going to school while working full time was terrifying because it meant all work and no play.  I began taking pre-requisites for the Dietetic program at GSU which consisted of Chemistry and Lab.  I had vague memories of high school Chemistry, how it was all math-y and hard.  I was shocked to learn I actually enjoyed it a little, and I kicked its mother fargin ass.  I knew I could face "scary" and win, but it wasn't without pain.  I had strained some friendships being unavailable and I had little "me" time.

While I was getting my Chem on, the Boy started putting feelers out for a Global rotation overseas because Chemistry made me so confident that I said to the Boy "Get us to Europe, stat!".  Well, it turned out to be "Get us to Europe, really slow and methodically!" because these things take time and this too wasn't without some pain.  Obviously we got here but just a year ago, I was freaking out about doing nothing with my life...just a year ago my friends.

Moral of this story is, do your scary. Doing your scary begets doing more scary, then you find you get all confident and even swagger.  I catch myself swaggering to the bus stop all the time.  A little bit of swagger is a good thing, especially if a year ago on your birthday you thought your life was pretty swagger-less.

p.s. If you want to wish me a "Happy Birthday", you can do so by visiting Facebook, not that I think it validates my self worth or anything.

7 comments:

Chantal said...

Happy Birthday! Great post. I think it's the "doing something scary" thing that offers the most rewards in the end. Congrats on doing your something scary. And enjoy your day!

Jessica said...

This is a great post. I think no matter what the age, we all have our own little crises from time to time and it is how we response that is most telling about our character. You, my dear, met the challenge head on and even welcomed a few new ones. I am really proud of you and glad that I could be a part in your adventures in coming abroad to Switzerland... now go do some Birthday Swaggering! Happy Birthday! Enjoy!

Tatiana said...

Love this post. One year ago next week, Rob and I moved to NYC and it was like the lights suddenly turned on. Memphis had made us so miserable. I finally feel like I've lived. Glad you were able to share that same feeling!

Christie

lwelsh said...

Doing the scary is good, and as cheesy as it sounds I'm proud of you for it. But don't ever forget that your worth doesn't have to be tied down to something big. Mommy of 2 doggies, wife, friend, worker, traveler, laugher and lover of life are reasons to celebrate yourself today!!

Unknown said...

Swagger on ya crazy diamond

The Goldest said...

Why does everything have to be so scary! Happy birthday Kristi! Sorry to have not wished it to you sooner, but one of the scary things I am doing is not being on facebook. So far, so good.

Miss you!!!

Unknown said...

We're gonna swagger to Rome in 30 days. I have more of a canter than a swagger so we should confuse the Italians pretty effectively. Lygia and David will probably have more of a stagger.