About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Monday, July 12, 2010

Zurich Puts the "Fest" in Festival

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays and I was curious to see how I was going to handle missing it this year. Zurich came to the rescue by holding a weekend long festival full of the following:

1. Meat on sticks
2. Massive fireworks displays
3. Booze
4. Over 3 ferris wheels scattered around the city
5. Sweaty, horny teenage boys drinking tall boy beers
6. A Snoop Dogg concert
7. Hot weather (making the porta-potty experience even more enjoyable)
8. Air shows

Zuri Fascht happens once every 3 years. I asked a few Swiss folks if there was a reason for it and I got a shrug of the shoulders each time with this response "nope...just an excuse to celebrate Zurich in the summertime". Sometimes the best festivals don't need a reason and this weekend turned into one of my favorites spent here.

The city scape was dotted with rides and tents selling chachkies, meat on sticks and booze.

This diving show was just one of the many interesting events held during the festival.

Um...me want boat with slide. WANT!

By far my favorite part of the weekend were the airshows...yes plural. I have never experienced one before and to see fighter jets whiz past my balcony over the lake was surreal. Friday night at 5pm was the first encounter I had with these jets. I had a towel on my head and thought Switzerland was under siege for the first time in its history. I proceeded to go outside onto my balcony with towel on head to watch the show. As I was staring at these jets whizzing by, I was overcome by the emotion of living here and I got a little choked up. Much to my chagrin, my neighbors were also on their balcony being blown away by the fact that I would cry, with a towel on my head, while watching planes. I held my head up high and proudly announced "Hi there...um, bad hair day".

3 comments:

Jen said...

sounds like a blast! i can't wait for ollie to be old enough to spend the day at these kinds of fests - we have tons of them here!

Unknown said...

Hey, in your second pic is that a Coyote Ugly tent? I don't understand how a forgettable movie is still alive as a tent in Zurich, where presumabely you can get a drink and be sassed. In fact, I don't understand how there are theme bars across America about this movie that nobody saw. Riddle me that.

Caitie said...

Looks awesome! I'm looking forward to August 1st, the Swiss national holiday. Also, (I think)the Montreaux Jazz Festivel is going on right now, and apparently there are tents and parties galore. With a little jazz of course.