About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Sunday, July 12, 2009

I love you...I love you not...I love you...I love you not

Oh Atlanta, the times we have shared. It hasn't always been roses, but I will always remember you with fond contempt. Is that an oxymoron? ANYwho, as I approach leaving you, I want to dedicate a post listing the top 5 reasons why I love you and why I love you not.

Love:

1. Atlanta's leafy green nature. I remember driving into the city in 1996 being blown away by all the trees and green stuff. I totally should have gone to school to become an arborist, betting there is a shortage here...

2. Intown neighborhoods are muy awesome-o. That is Spanish for awesome. Wait, I should practice my German, very awesomestein. This is truly where Atlanta shows her style, in beautiful, colorful bungalows and Victorians in all shapes, colors and sizes.

3. Festivals a go go. Atlanta has copious amounts of them and they are typically a good time.

4. Friendly people. Atlanta is home to some really nice folks, could be the whole southern charm thing. Whatever it is, I marvel at it anytime I come home from a trip overseas.

5. Decent weather with four seasons. While the length of Spring is generally one week during a full moon, it does happen. We see leaves change, we sometimes get a dusting of snow (ohmigod I hope I have milk when that happens, I don't even drink it...but I join the mobs of people at Publix because I enjoy the idiot ritual of it all).

Love you not:

1. Crime, it is way high here and everywhere. The hubster was mugged on our street and we have poor leadership, nuff said.

2. MARTA is not smarta, it is dumb-a. Imagine a train system that only goes to 5% of the city. Imagine a train system that doesn't update their website when weekend timetables go from every 15 minutes to every 30. Imagine a train system that sucks, and you got MARTA.

3. Strip malls everywhere. I want to slap the person who invented them, they are wretched and everywhere making a pretty city look really lame.

4. Car culture. This city goes out of its way to make other modes of travel impossible or deadly. If you have ever ridden a bike in the city then you know you are taking your life into your own hands.

5. Atlanta makes me want for more. I know that is vague, but it is a vague feeling. I think Atlanta has so much potential but it pisses it away in ugly aquariums and horrible marketing campaigns.

1 comments:

Jen said...

hey, i totally agree with your #5 on the hate list. atlanta, for all it's size and influx of cultures, is completely lacking in anything cultural. i mean, the ballet had to fire the orchestra because not enough people came to keep them in business, for chrissakes. atlanta is big, and it is loud, but it is not deep. definitely one of my least fave things about the place. that and the traffic (absolutely agree with that one too - once a COP CAR almost hit me while i was on my bike, and i had the right of way. i mean, REALLY.).