About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's the Same but Different



What defines a culture and makes it unique? If you look at human beings organically, you can conclude we all do the same basic things and have the same basic needs - we sleep, eat, work, procreate, celebrate, idolize, love etc. I am convinced what makes a culture unique is doing these same things either a little bit or a lotta bit differently. Don't worry, I am not going to get all anthropological or philosophical today. Quite the contrary. While comparing the US of A to Switzerland isn't as big of a stretch as say comparing the US to the indigenous peoples of Komi Siberia, there are still differences. I have lovingly handpicked a few to share with you and there isn't always a clear winner as to who does what better. That is for you to decide and experience yourself:

1. Crosswalk Behavior - I chose this because I almost came to a premature end one too many times in Atlanta. Crosswalks in Atlanta exist but I think drivers think they are just sections of yellow or white painted gravel - modern art that you can drive over and not obey. In Switzerland they take these striped sections of roads very seriously. On more than one occasion I have witnessed cars from 10 feet away screech to a halt if I am even near the crosswalk entrance. They very well could have been screeching to a halt due to my "Hausfrau Native Wear", which most haven't seen outside of the confines of a Swiss apartment, but regardless of the reason, I will take not being murdered while crossing a road. While a lot of Expats complain about the rules and red tape here, myself included and deservedly so sometimes, this is one rule the Swiss and I wholeheartedly embrace. I like being able to cross the road and get to the other side.

2. Kids Walking without Adults - We are talking little kids. Kids who are like 4 years old little. I have seen one too many "Amber Alerts" in my days back in the States. If I ever become a Mother, I may very well become that Mother who keeps their kids on a leash. While I think a safe and trusting society is wonderful, it is so different from what I am used to and I am not sure I could naturally embrace letting my toddler walk alone somewhere. We had dinner with another American couple a week ago and they said parents are frowned upon if they walk their toddlers to school. The Swiss mindset is to prepare kids as early as possible for adulthood by teaching them independence at an early age. I marvel at it and especially love the groups of little kids by themselves, holding hands while walking to school.

3. Cashier Register Loot - In the States, you can't pass through a cash register without being bombarded by magazines talking about the latest - YAWN - Hollywood breakup or five different flavors of Chapstick. It didn't annoy me, rather it gave me something to look at while waiting in line. Here I don't see as much loot, but it exists. Sometimes though the loot is different and I will never forget one particular instance while waiting in line in the COOP City. I saw several different shapes which included hearts and ovals, all with cardboard backers. My first thought was "Why are they trying to sell cookie cutters in the shampoo section of COOP?". Then it clicked...they weren't cookie cutters, rather women's nether region cut-outs to assist and aid you in the art of female grooming. My eyes widened that day like a cartoon character being strangled. If you need a more detailed description, feel free to email me.

4. Resume Etiquette - If you wish to create a Swiss Resume or Swiss CV, you are encouraged to include the following: a picture of yourself, your age, marital status and hobbies. If you are applying to a multinational company, you likely do not have to include these things however if you are applying to a Swiss company, it is recommended you do so. In the US I was a manager and at times had to interview folks for positions. If I got a resume with a photo, I cackled, showed it to co-workers who cackled with me and then chucked it in the recycling bin.

Ok, ok, ok...so these aren't scientific examples and one could say they aren't even relevant when discussing the differences between cultures. I could talk about the height of beds here or the fact you have to bring your own light fixtures when you move in and take the old ones when you move out, but I don't want you head down on your desk, soaking in a puddle of drool while reading this.

If you live or have lived in a different country, what sticks out as being different compared to your former home?

This post was written for AffordableCallingCards.net, a community linking Expats and soon to be Expats. In addition to being a great source of Expat information, they offer affordable calling cards, keeping you connected.

3 comments:

Caitie said...

Here's something I noticed about the Swiss (being married to one really helps my microscopic investigation of the society). If someone lives two hours away, YOU NEVER SEE THEM. "Oh, he's so far away. We only visit about once or twice a year." Once my husband and I did the Matterhorn in a day trip, and our family almost keeled over in disbelief: "That's not possible! It's too far away!"

Coming from a smaller Canadian city, it's a required driving time of four hours just to get to the closest shopping mecca. This country can practically be traversed in one day by train. I love baffeling my family with our 'extreme' day trips.

Jen said...

i used to always think those child leashes were the worst things in the world. now i have a 2 year old, and they don't seem so bad. tempting, even. i have sciatica now and move slowly, though, and my child is the hulk, so i'd probably get pulled along on the ground behind him like some marmaduke comic. that or he'd end up on the floor in a screaming fit. so i don't think it'd be a good fit for us, but i can't judge parents who use them too harshly.

Kristi said...

Jen- next thing you know, kids will be wearing one of those invisible fence collars and get zapped if they go too far away or near something dangerous. Wait, did I just invent something?

Caitie- I love how any place in Switzerland could be a day trip. This hausfrau has a GA card and a lot of time on her hands...so I may just get out there on my own and start traversing Switzerland as the weather seems to be getting good.