About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Aw, Me So Hornli...

What do you do with guests who just flew 10 hours from Atlanta and landed in Zurich at 7:45am? You take them on a hike of course. You want to keep their jet lag demons at bay and there is no better way to do this than with some fresh air, snow and fondue. Art of Geneva, the Boy and I took our victims, err friends, Trevor and Megan to the popular hiking/sledding spot Hornli to exercise their demons. Can I get an amen? Holla!



We chose to take them to Hornli based on a recommendation from one of the Boy's co-workers. We hopped a train from Zurich and arrived in Steg, a tiny town approximately 30km due east of Zurich. I am not sure if Hornli is classified as a mountain by the Swiss, hard to gauge what they consider hills vs mountains here, but for us...it was all mountain and it was all snow. I haven't seen this much snow since my days in Roch-cha-cha (Rochester NY) and I couldn't believe how easy it was for me to adjust. I guess you can't take the lake effect snow out of the Western New Yorker.



We arrived to clear skies and "pretty" slapping us in the face every direction we turned. I just love the contrast between freshly fallen white snow and super blue skies, sorta like we were living in a Bob Ross painting.



Hey thanks Bob! (actually, thank you for your hair. It helped me out of some low points in my life)

It was a 1 hour and 20 minute straight shot up the hill-mountain, not for the out of shape I am afraid. Of course there was a restaurant at the top. Any hill-mountain worth their salt has one at the top, feeding weary hikers with bubbling hot pots of cheese and quenching thirsts with gigantic beers.



I had just enough beer to agree to sled the way down but unfortunately for us, all the sleds had been rented that day. During lunch the clouds rolled in all Stephen King style (fast and freaky) and we were informed by a friendly neighbor in the restaurant to start making our way down as it starts getting dark at 4pm. Yes, I said 4pm.

The hike down turned into short cut butt sledding which was all sorts of fun and of course more picture taking. At the end we were greeted by a family of gnomes just chillin. It isn't a Swiss hike if you don't see gnomes.



A great day with amazing friends thanks to Hornli. Hey Hornli...we loved you long time. (come on, you knew that was coming).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This must be a theme. I'd like you all to know that after I flew 10 hours to Zurich from Atlanta, the Remicks took us sledding the day we landed. It was hardcore. There was fondue and a giant meat plate mixed in with factors like wind chill and hypothermia. I'm glad Trevor and Megan got out alive.

Unknown said...

Oh yah, and Bob Ross' hair is actually a halo.