About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Monday, October 26, 2009

This Is How We Tyrol

When I met the Boy 10 years ago, I learned  immediately that he had a thirst for travel and a need to see the world.  This was a learned behavior.  I know...I have a Psychology degree from Plattsburgh State University.  He learned this behavior when he spent a Summer in Innsbruck Austria through University of Georgia's Study Abroad Program and has claimed ever since that it changed his life.



With all this "it changed my life" jibber jabber, I had to see it first hand.  It was to be our first weekend trip outside of Switzerland.  Innsbruck is the capital city of the Tyrol region of Austria.  This is a valley region surrounded by the Alps and is all sorts of pretty.



So, I guess if this was the view from my dorm window I would be changed somehow too. Can you imagine doing a keg stand only to see the Alps afterwards?  Innsbruck is literally surrounded by mountains which makes looking out a window a special treat.  It is a very popular tourist destination due to its proximity to winter sports venues, Olympic Games history and historic Old Town district.

We did all the touristy things that Innsbruck had to offer.  We took the Nordpark cable railway which takes you 2256m above sea level for some spectacular views:







 
                                  

  Mmm, beer while staring at the Alps.

We also went to the Bergiselschanze, the ski jumping hill used in the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympic Games.




 

I double dog dared the Boy to jump:

He quickly decided against it after noticing the cemetery located just below the landing area.  Ahhh, ski jump architect humor at its best:




We did lots of strolling through Old Town and along the Sill River.  The color of this river is just haunting, a blue I haven't seen before:





We ended our trip with Museum Night Art Walk where a variety of art galleries and museums were open until 1:00 am throughout Austria.  We were so inspired by this art walk that we created some of our own:



We decided to call this "Dog Contemplating Life".

Innsbruck was charming and I recommend a day trip here if you are in the Tyrol region.  All the sights we took in could be done in a day so a full weekend is unnecessary.  I realized shortly after leaving Innsbruck that I also owe it some appreciation because had it not been for the Boy's summer there in the late 1990s, I would not be where I am today.  For that reason alone, Innsbruck will always have a special place in my heart.



                                      

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I love the dog art. That is hilarious.

My family actually comes from the Tyrol area - going way back - as my Grandmother's mother's last name was Tyroller...

Glad you enjoyed the area! :)

The Goldest said...

when things are just too pretty, the beer too yummy and life too aweseome who you gonna call--BATDOG! All the pics rule!

Unknown said...

this is your best posting yet Kristi....
it was like you were actually seeing this dream thru David's eyes, just as he had described it to you for years....except now you were actually there seeing it together....awesome!