About Me

My Photo
Kristi
The Boy, 2 Muttleys and I have finally realized our dream of living 1 mile from the Lindt Chocolate Factory. Leaving Atlanta (the World of Coke) for Zurich (the World of Chocolate) hasn't come without challenges, incredible fun or giggles. Follow along as I chronicle our adventures as we acclimate to this new Swiss lifestyle.
View my complete profile

Pages

Got a Question? Want theories on Life?

Well why don't you email me then: fromatlantatozurich@gmail.com

Followers

living in Switzerland
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas
Friday, May 14, 2010

Wine Goggles



The term Beer Goggles is pretty straight forward- the more beer you consume the better something or someone can look. Typically this phrase is used for human interaction within a setting where mass amounts of beer is consumed and very well be the number one reason for the "one night stand" and those awkward moments when you reintroduce yourself to someone only to find out you met them the night before...they just looked really different when washed down with a few Miller Lights.

Yesterday we met Art of Geneva and his friend Eva in Sierre (or Siders if you are Swiss German) which is a small town located in the French speaking canton of Valais. This region and Sierre specifically, is known for its wine production and tasting and imbibing. It is also quite beautiful, but perhaps I had wine goggles on? It is a stunning combination of old European cuteness, valleys, mountains, ridges and all that other good Swiss scenery stuff...only it is served with copious amounts of wine.

I wish wine goggles could do something about my Courtney Cox circa 1999 hair-do

I am no wine expert and the way I judge wine is "oh, that tasted really good" or "oh, that tasted like the backside of some nasty wooden barrel". We tasted a bunch of varieties including Syrah, Johannisberg, Fendant, Chardonnay and our favorite, the Pinot Blanc. While we have been told many times over that the Swiss reds are sort of crappy, we had a very nice Syrah yesterday to prove some of the Swiss Red Haters wrong.

I loved this particular Vineyard's (or Cave) organizational skills

If you like wine and you like beautiful scenery, then I encourage you to explore this area. Here are some snapshots from the day and maybe you can tell me if it is really beautiful, or if I just had on some wine goggles:







3 comments:

Kathy said...

What a coincidence! We were just in Sierre and Sion. I love Sierre too, and I don't think it's wine goggles :)

Brady said...

It's not the wine. Beautiful.

By the way, I check the blog a couple of times a week now. Mainly because I read a ton of blogs for work, and sometimes I just can't take it anymore and need to read something more fun. Something about Switzerland, it seems.

Kristi said...

Hey Brady

Glad you find the blog fun. David and I enjoy reading yours as well.

Kristi